Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Tilles Park Women's Open: April 11th 2010


Another day in the saddle! After the grueling 58 mile race the day before, I had NO idea how my legs would feel today. It was also really warm today and more humid. Everyone was trying to adjust to the sudden rise in temps (low 80's)! I get kitted up and roll down the road to find a place to warm up. My legs are a little tired, but not as bad as I expected! Not sure how long they would last but ok for now.


The field is much smaller than yesterday with 20ish riders. Still, much better than most local races!! The Bicycles of Tulsa (BOT) team is still in full effect and ready to race. Both of my teammates are not able to do the race, so I am solo today.

The whistle is blown and the pack is hot out of the gate. I was ready for this and grabbed a wheel and hung on waiting for it to settle down a bit. Just as it started to settle the BOT girls start taking turns attacking the field. I chase a few of them and stay w/ all of the accelerations. My legs are feeling good, but I can tell Im not going to have a "full box of matches" to burn today!

About 15 mins or so into the race, an attack sticks. Chris goes with one of the BOT girls (Cindy Reese). The pace picks up as the group tries not to let them get away, but then it slows down as fellow teammates go to the front and block the field. Im waiting for someone to attack and try to bridge up. They have a pretty big gap now. No one does...so I do. There were too many strong women to let me get get away and after a short 30 sec effort, the whole field is on me. I sit up and get back in. A few others attempt attacks as well, but none of them stick. It was the perfect storm. Too many strong sprinters in the field who wanted their teammates off the front to let anything get away. But they were the ones who would have done work to bring back something if it were a different team up the road. A Big Shark racer (Amy S) tries to organize a chase group, but there were only 3-4 of us who would work and the bockers kept working their way to the front in the rotation and slowing it down. Frustration. I wish I had attempted a bridge sooner so there was less of a gap to make up!

The race was fairly uneventful after that. Some more failed attacks but basically nada. At 2 or 3 to go (or maybe right before then) Chris and Cindy lap the field and jump back in. I start thinking about the final sprint and where I need to be. At 2 to go, Im NOT in the right place and Im wondering how Ill move up. Then at 1 to go, Chris takes off and I just happen to be on her wheel and hold it. Im sitting 2nd wheel. Not ideal, but better than the back of the pack. At 350 meters or so (well before the left turn to the finish) I hear people jumping for the sprint already. What, really? Already? Dammit! People start going around and Im trying to sprint through a sweeping corner (that was a first and crazy). I grab whatever wheel I can find and just try not to loose any more positions. Ugh!! Im not sure of my placement, maybe 9th(ish) (dont quote me on that).

(Me on the left, 4th wheel)

I tried to check results, but didnt remember my number, so had no idea how I finished. But if I counted right, it was right around that. Mid-pack again. Ok, need to work on my positioning for the sprint!! Always something more to lean. I guess thats why Im hooked on this racing thing! :)

Thanks to Paul Pate for Photos!

No comments: