Saturday, April 10, 2010

Hillsboro-Roubaix with the Cat 1/2/3 Women

Ouch! Thats all I can think right now.

As we rolled up to the line there was a nervous but positive attitude amongst the field of women. Everyone was reunited for this 1st big race of the season. It was hugs and hellos all around! Surprisingly, I was only a little nervous for this 60 mile road race - the longest Ive ever (or never at that point) done.

The group of 47 women roll out and for the first 5 miles, Im trying to move myself up the double pace line while staying out of the wind. We had a lot of strong cross winds the whole race. Given the fairly flat to rolling terrain (aside from the two hills right before the finish), the front of the group used every little hill and tight corner as an opportunity to attack and try to get away from the group. The first lap went really quickly, I almost couldn't believe it when we hit the feed zone. Unfortunately, I missed my hand-up bottle and so all I had were the last 1/2 bottle of my HEED mix and the other mixed bottle I had stashed in my jersey pocket. Im SO glad I carried that extra bottle!

The main part of the field was still together going into lap two. I knew the attacks would be stronger and more frequent...and they were. A group of 4 made a break stick and the main field didnt have enough people willing to organize and work together to catch them. I tried to help chase for a while but once I realized that only about 4-5 people (out of 17) were willing to work, I tucked back in out of the wind. Plus, my legs were starting to cramp up. I focused on drinking more and trying to save some for the last two hills and cobblestone which was just power zapping! As much as I hurt the last 15 or so miles, I kept thinking about how cool it was that I was still with this amazing group of strong women racers including our very own Carrie Cash! :) (She is on a pro team this year - Vera Bradley Team) She has totally been my bike racing mentor and to be in a group with her the entire race was something I couldn't even have imagined just a couple of years ago. Of course no one was able to match her bad ass sprint and she won the field sprint to take 5th! Way to go Carrie!

Me, well, I found myself in the back of the field going into the feed zone hill and as the group slowed for a car stopped in the middle of the road, I got yo-yo'ed off the back. I hung close but then on the final hill I died. I pushed, but felt like I was getting nowhere. Two other riders had fallen off up ahead of me and I tried my best to catch them but never did. Just before I get to the line the pro 1/2 men fly by for their final sprint. It was cool to see, but I felt bad being in the finishing stretch at that point.

So, the short story is that I finished 21st out of 47 women. It was mostly very fun, very challenging, and just what I needed to get me ready for next weekend when I do Hermann. Only difference is, Hermann is the same length, but with WAY more hills. Oh God help me! :)

Photo to come soon...

No comments: