Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Herman Stage Race: April 17th - 18th

I have mixed emotions about how last weekend went. It definitely didnt go as planned. Now I know its early in the season and I was up against a small but really strong field of women, but I just expected more from myself. I REALLY dont like to get dropped and it seemed that that was pretty much the theme of the weekend for me.


It started w/ an 11 mile TT on Sat morning. After all of the hard work I have done over the winter, I knew my time/speed HAD to be better than last year. This years course was 11 miles, one mile more than last year. Also, had a pretty strong cross wind and never had a good tail wind like last year. Im not sure if it was the wind, my legs, or the fact that I was in such a rush I didnt get a great warm up and totally left my saddle bag on my bike! HA! Did I look at my HR too much? Can I think of any more excuses??! :) Anyway, I averaged about .5 mph SLOWER this year than last. I end up 8 out of 10. Next TT Ill focus on perceived exertion only....just focus and GO! Now, it DID make me feel a little better to look at the Womens 3/4 results and realize that I would have been 3rd in their group! But only a little...


Saturday afternoon was the crit. Same course as last year with a steep hill top finish. There were only 8 of us in the Open category who lined up for the crit. I was able to hang with the group for the first lap and then our 1st time around, they announce the omnium points prime for the next lap! The pace picks up and I work hard to hang in. There were some women with strong cornering skills and I was forced to take some corners at a speed that was out of my comfort zone...but it all worked out. At the bottom of the hill, they jump on the pedals and I just try to stay as close as possible. At the top, I have to chase back on and managed to catch the leaders wheel before the downhill. I hang until the next time up the hill and I get dropped like a bad habit. Am I dragging an anchor behind me? Is my break on?! Nope, just feeling like everyone else. I end up gaped off the front group of four but no where close to anyone else. I just keep pushing as best I can. I climb that hill 9 times in total! All of the 3/4 ladies and other cheerleaders are standing on the hill screaming at me each lap! What fun!



With I think 3 to go, Amy passes me on the hill and I TRY to grab her wheel at the top of the hill but just can't hang as she throws it in her big ring and gasses it like she is on a mission. Ok, I have to hold my position! At 2 to go, another rider, Carol, comes up beside me on the hill. NO! We stay together on the top of the course and then I descend much faster than her and try to smoke it fast through the corners to get ahead of her so I have a gap going into the hill. She gets pretty close again on the hill, but then its 1 to go and I give it all I have for the last lap. She stays close but never catches my wheel and manged to hold her and Teresa off and hold on to 6th place. OUCH!

We head back to our host housing in this awesome little cabin. Ashley, a Hub racer and local Hermannite offer up some accommodations! What a beautiful piece of land! I got to pick up and pet a live chicken, something I havent done since I was 12 and see the nice sky w/o the light pollution of the city! It was pretty cool. Ashley's parents also had an amazing spread of food ready for us when we arrived. They were awesome! I slept great and woke up and made everyone a big healthy breakfast to prep them for the long day of road racing ahead!

Oh, the road race. The first hill was going to be the worst. I wasn't sure if someone would try to attack there given that its in mile 1 of 60! No one did, but it felt like I was struggling to stay w/ the group again. By the top of the 1 mile climb, Im a little gaped off the back but knew that there was a nice flat section and then a downhill where I could catch back on...and did. I actually knew the course pretty well from past years and from riding it just a few weeks prior for a training ride. I knew that the first 15 miles of the loop were going to be the hardest. I continue to struggle each climb. I tried not to let negative thoughts come in. Thats very powerful stuff. I start telling myself to "climb my own hill" since I felt like I was going to blow up trying to keep pace w/ them. But Im not sure that was the best strategy either. I ended up gaping and chasing on multiple hills and then on probably the last bigger hill before it leveled off, I REALLY get dropped and I want to fight for it, but Im just not going anywhere fast. The wheel truck passes me and Larry shouts something encouraging.

I stop fighting, try to find my own pace and just ride....alone...for the next 30+ miles. Right before the KOM, the Womens Cat 3/4 passes me (they started 5 mins behind us and only have 1 lap). Buzz kill! They all shout encouraging words and I tell them they are the rock stars! 1/2 way up the KOM, Natalie (Dog Fish) drops her chain and has no idea how to put it back on. I figure I have nothing to loose, and stop, quickly put it back on for her and tell her to chase her tail off!

I know I have to go out for a 2nd loop. Everything inside of me wants to get back to the finish and just quit. But I say aloud to myself "Jamie is NOT a quitter". I make it back to the finish and need more water for sure. Jessi hands me a bottle and I throw her my car key since I know Teresa will need in before Im back. I turn the corner and head toward the worst hill of the race...Guttenburg. OMG! Its about 3 blocks long and ranges from 14% - 18% grade. On the 18% section (at the top of course) I have to zig zag across the road just to make it up. I want to get off and walk! NO! I have to conquer this one! I make it. Now I did not ride this section on my training ride and thought that it would take me to the top of the 1st hill we did prior. No, sorely mistaken, Im only in the middle. I have to climb that bastard again! Im going so slow up it, I feel like walking would be faster, but I keep going. Every hill I creep to the top and continue. I sing some songs in my head and try to keep a good attitude. Its a beautiful day after all, Ive paid good money for this, and on top of that, the omnium paid 10 spots and there were only 8 of us in contention, so I knew Id get some prize money just for finishing!

About 1/2 way through the 2nd lap, I see someone alone up ahead. I figure its a guy, but as I get closer I realize that its Jacqueline Denny. What? She was in 2nd overall so I was very surprised that she got dropped. She said she fell off about 25 miles in. We were happy to see each other and have someone to work with for the next 15 or so miles! We take turns pulling and we are both climbing about the same...slow as snails. I was glad we felt the same and I wasn't holding her back. The last 10 miles were the WORST. My stomach started growling and I wished I a brought something solid to eat and not just GU and powered drink stuff. (Note to self!) My legs start cramping and I just try to focus on going forward. Can I hitch a ride or something?! That would be great! No no, forward! That big downhill to the fish is right around the corner...I can feel it! There it is!! YES! I was never happier to see downtown Hermann! I finish DFL, but I finish.

I roll back to the car and Chris and Jessi are just rolling up. I stop and un-clip and put my head on my bars and a wave of emotion rushes over me. I cry b/c Im more exhausted than I can remember being in a long time, I cry b/c Im starving, dehydrated, cramping, and b/c I finished the race regardless! Chris tells me Im a stronger racer for finishing. Tells me all the things I need to hear right then. Thanks Chris! I collapse on the curb and Jessi hands me a sandwich that I start quickly inhaling. Its SO good. I drink some water and start shivering w/ goosebumps. About 20 mins later I start feeling more like a normal person again.

I ask myself why I do this. Why torture myself like this? As me and Chris and Teresa talk racing in the car all the way back to St. Louis and then continue sharing stories over beers on my back deck, I remember why. This connects us as friends for life. It gives us stories that we will never forget. This makes us stronger people and Ill look forward to the next torturous race weekend with them! Thanks ladies! :)

Thanks to Paul Pate for the photos!

No comments: